Pages

30 Oct 2011

Foreigner in My own Country

I bet you all are wondering what could I possibly mean with such a strange topic . My fellow Somalis might think I am referring to tribalism and what not . Ofcourse that would be relevant to the Subject in hand . But I am referring to the strange , unreasonable politics within Somalia  and it's many regions ( that Includes Somaliland).

So last month after a 2 month holiday in Kenya , I landed in Berbera Airport . As we made our way through the Immigration booth I handed the officer my Somali passport .The next few moments would introduce me to the sad reality that Being Somali meant being Homeless. As I waited for the officer to stamp my passport and hand it back , he casually asked me for 30 dollars . When I asked him what for , he was quick to tell me I was a "Foreign Passport Holder" . It literally took me a good 2 minutes to completely comprehend what he was saying . How could I be a Foreigner in Somalia when my Document clearly stated I am Somali !!!!. He then quickly mentioned how in Somaliland, (yet to be recognised Independent Country, still recognised by the International communtiy as Somalia) they classify  the "New Somali passport " as foreign and If I had the old green one I wouldn't have to pay .

To those of you not familiar with the Somali passport system. Back in the days when Somalia had a functional , capable government run by Siad Barre , there was this green  passport. As Somalia progressed into Civil war and with the fall of the government , The Somali passport had become the easiest travelling document to forge . Anyone could get it . As long as you had a few American dollars on you You would become a Somali Citizen in less than 24 hours.
Fast forward 15 years and Abdulahi Yusuf came into power . He introduced the Somali E-passport and discontinued the old one, making it mandatory on every Somali willing to travel to get the new Document ( the blue one), a blessing for most Somalis in the Diaspora with a Somali passport. Less forging , more authentic documents , recognized travel document

To sum things up , the old Somali document is not recognized anymore , and 9 out of 10 times you will not be granted entry into any country with it . On the Other hand the Somaliland Government has yet to be recognized , therefore making any S.Land travelling document worthless. So the question is what would make me a national of Northern Somalia/ Somaliland ? . A travel document that is no longer recognized or one that has yet to be recognized? 



No comments:

Post a Comment