Pages

18 Oct 2011

Quranic Schools and it's Teachers


Before I begin this post I just want to make it clear this is not an attack on anyone or any Religious institutions . these are my observations and thoughts , you are free to agree or disagree. 
About 3 years ago , I enrolled in a Quranic school in my neighbourhood .I explained to the Teacher how I had classes early in the morning , and I just needed someone to correct my recitations . He agreed to let me go as soon as I was done with my recitations.  2 weeks later I dropped out and vowed to never return to a Quranic school . My reasons were simple . One morning I arrived about 5 mins late and as soon as I walked in and sat down . I was asked to stand once more . When I stood I was asked why I was late infront of a class of about 30 students. I simply said I had some things to deal with at home and it was personal. The teacher then asked me to extend my hand forward as he pulled out a rather long tree branch. I refused and he went on to hit me wherever he could. I was outraged . Here I was being whooped by some Sheikh who claimed to know the religion. 
Sadly that is nothing compared to what others have to deal with on a daily basis . I have witnessed little boys being spanked with a piece of tire , others are locked up in a room with chains attached to their legs . they are left in there for a day or two with no food or toilet breaks. Some even go as far as to leave you out in the sun around noon, barefoot.
Like I stated earlier , this is not a campaign to shame and ridicule all Quranic teacher and Dugsiis . However  this is to raise awareness as to what really happens in many Quranic schools. 
I think Parents should pay more attention to where they send their kids to study , the circumstances of the institution, have a sit down with the teacher , and most importantly talk to your children, find out if anything has happened to them in class and so forth. Alot of the times, Religious figures are exempt from all public criticism and questioning . Parents don’t believe their children when they tell them about what the Sheikh did and often punish them for speaking in such a manner about a Man of faith . And with the lack of a regulatory committee in most cities and countries ,Becoming a Quranic teacher has attracted pedophiles and extremists equally to freely abuse little girls and boys physically , mentally and sexually .
I think it’s about time people stopped placing certain individuals on a podium with full immunity . Every action has a consequence , and for those people who do not have the heart or the mind to know what they are doing is wrong . the legal consequence is the only thing that keeps them straight.
In my opinion Quranic teachers should be forced to take a course on teaching methodology , get a diploma , and get a license to teach. there should be some form of Regulatory committee for Quranic Schools , a curriculum , a set of rules and regulations to follow and regular visits from this committee to see how things are being run . It’s about time the same amount of importance is placed on Quranic schools just like Academic Schools and Institutions. 

2 comments:

  1. sister, kindly i ask you to not over-exaggerate. I realize you have gone through abuse in the hands of someone who doesn't even understand the true meaning and essence of what he's actually teaching. And you have a right to say some of these things, and while raising awareness of it is all well and good, you yourself must acknowledge how bias you're being. you've only attended one man's class. With someone as educated as you, surely you must view things using a broader lenses. You cannot make generalizations such as these.

    While I agree with some of your points u must understand a few things. It is my belief that some quran teachers not only need to pass quran classes but actual academic classes as well. There is a need for fiqh, proper adab, how to give dacwah, as well as psychology class 101 in how to deal with school age'd children. Our country desperately needs this. Because the first school in Somalia is not actually at home, but starts in madarasah. Children, from the minute they can speak are sent to be educated there, for different reasons, but mostly to be taught proper adab. And while it amazes you that parents are sending their children to an underqualified, nonsensical teacher who managed to memorize the quran at a young age, and so thinks its easy money making business. While i agree that this is not enough to qualify him for bringing up the countries future children, i cant bear to think about what our children would end up becoming if they didn't have to attend any madarasah. Because in our culture, the only thing that a child fears is their father and the quran teacher. So don't be surprised, that when a mother feels overburdened with her child, because the father is out to work, that she might hand him over to the other big-power.
    p/c

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry anon if I came of as being biased and deliberately trying to shame Quranic teachers and madrasah's . Although I mentioned only one incident I have been through , I have witnessed over the past 4 years others go through much worse by the hands of Quranic teachers, including my younger siblings. I would never write a post based solely on one incident.

    This is not to be mistaken as All madrasahs are bad . On the contrary I have been to Good schools with good teachers who made learning the Quran a pleasant experience.

    The problem is like you stated : parents are relying on Madrasahs to teach their kids everything . True schooling starts at home and should be done by parents. Also a Quranic teacher should not be filling in for the father . Why not instill love instead of fear ? . Learning the word of God because you are scared of the teacher will be forgotten once the kid is out of the madrasah. But learning the Quran out of love will forever remain in their hearts.

    ReplyDelete