Pages

22 Mar 2010

Somalia - A Lifetime experience

3 years ago, on a sunny sad day , i was told of a place called Borame,and that i would be doing my degree there. The first question that popped in my head was " where is that??". i was in disbelieve when i heard it was in "SOMALIA". i was so sure i wouldn't come out of that trip alive!! . words from the news kept playing in my head " al-shabab, Islamists, UN, Somalia ". i was heartbroken, depressed, and mad at the world. i prayed for forgiveness and repented all of my sins, [ since i knew my clock was ticking].

A month later : as i stepped out of the plane , the weather was UNBELIEVABLE !!!!.being from the middle east where
airconditioning pretty much keeps us alive ; the cold breeze and the cloudy sky was just breath taking!!!!




my first reaction inside the airport was : OMGGGG LOOK AT ALL THESE SOMALI PEOPLE!!!!! , my dad quickly hushed me, and told me " people can understand, you know !!!" [ i was used 2 using my somali as a secret language , now everyone around me could understand it, and they were all staring like i was an alien!!!!! ] . 4 hours later , i saw A GOAT FOR THE VERY FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE , 2 min later , BACAC!!! OMGG LOOK AT THE BACAAC!!!! [ bacaac = sheep], i had no idea what they were called in somali and i honestly believed that was a real name for it.



i was like a little lost child, in a different world . i would stare at everything and everyone. and i had so many questions, and no one was being helpful .








the one thing that had me thinking, was why everyone was chewing "GREEN LEAVES JUST LIKE GOATS " .. LIKE
EWWWW ...SPIT IT ALREADY!!!
when i finally got to my new home, i was a bit relieved, things were starting to feel better.. the house had a huge balcony and WE HAD A MAID!!!!!! [ we have never had a maid before , so this was 5 star treatment], i was thrilled at the weather i quickly changed into something lighter and sat outside . one thing i didn't realize was going to meet my enemy : "THE MOSQUITOES".. apparently these tiny
lil insects were feeding on my sweet, fresh blood all along ,, 2 hours later, i was swelling up like a pumpkin, and i didn't know why... i was having an allergic reaction and it was so bad, i had to get shots at the local hospital .
ever since that day, long sleeves and mosquito repellents were a must!!

3 years later : I AM STILL ALIVE !!!!!!, and living life to the fullest.
i wont lie and tell you, "SOMALIA IS THE AFRICAN VERSION OF HAWAII!!!" [ I'm sure most of you heard that from
aabo or hooyo] , but its definitely a trip everyone has to take once in their lifetime . your whole perspective of life will be changed forever. the little things that most of us take for granted are Blessings we should be grateful for every single day of our lives.

FROM A 16 YEAR OLD , SPOILED LIL BRAT WHO WAS FULL O CRAP, TO THE WOMAN I AM TODAY, . I WOULD MOST DEFINITELY DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN!!!

5 comments:

  1. so was this your secret way of having me convinced to fly out there hahahaha atleast its a happy post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehehe ..well is it working ??

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahahaahhaaha and u even added pics!!!

    its DEFINITELY WORKING

    ReplyDelete
  4. like your blog..add me cuz am somali.LOL. nah seriously i've just created a fashion blog and need as many follower's opinion.
    www.fayy-ds.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete